Resonance 2016 Kidzone

44 posts / 0 new
Last post
dguppy
dguppy's picture
Resonance 2016 Kidzone

Kidzone ideas and concepts forum...........

As with all the areas of resonance Karamea, the kidzone has improved every year and it is only fair to assume that we will keep on striving to make it even better this year.
We have had a pretty solid kidzone crew for the past while and have developed an understanding of the designated space and some fundamentals that seem to work.
Flags/ flying fox/ playground structure/ shaded area are well rooted in the physical realm of the zone
Face Painting/ Rock painting/Stories/ Wall painting and Giant bubbles are activities that are always put on for the kids to enjoy.
Running a forum gives the chance to express ideas, conceptualize, track down resources, assign tasks and keep it on a medium that is easily and readily accessible. It also allows for other community members, not neccesarily directly involved with the kidzone or even the festival itself, to contribute/discover that they may have some talent or resource to offer.
It would be great to offer more in the way of timetabled events. Two talented story tellers were a highlight last year.
Perhaps we could add musicians, puppeters to the mix and was thinking maybe a kids music session, jamming on instruments or DJing.
Kids specific workshops would also be great......raft building......science experiments.....
Got some toys, some time, an idea,........
Get in touch or post it here

Laura
Laura's picture
Re: Resonance 2016 Kidzone

Hey thanks for the link.... I think some time scheduled workshops would be excellent...last year there was a guy who was soooo keen to do a drumming workshop with the kids if there were drums available. I think he's in my facebook friend list and can look him up on Friday when I have time.

Debs has told me a kids disco was a good idea, for the older kids, say on Friday or Saturday evening (or both!). I have a small P.A. that can go towards this (150 Watts) provided there's a powerpoint in the kidzone and a tent or something in case it rains. Another thing needed for this would be a device that plays music to plug into the system, as well as a small team of adults who want to take turns supervising. I'm quite happy to do this, as long as we can take turns in case I'm playing with "Where's Guppy?" (lol) or my solo set. 

Another ideaI had was to have a big big dress up with all the kids on Saturday afternoon, combined with the facepainting. Then early evening a parade around the field, when they're all dressed up....the main "needage" for this would be to start gathering lots and lots of dress up clothes, so by the time the festival is on, we'll have heaps. If a few peeps can keep their ears and eyes open this could work I reckon....

Apart from that, the mega bubbles can be done again, thinking of trying out with sticks and strings at home....just so the bubbles can be bigger than mega. Also what Guppy said above, to keep the good things going, the rock painting, facepainting and interactive workshops. Anyone have more ideas for possible workshops for kids??? 

Re: climbing structure I thought the one we had in 2014 was epic, e.g. all bits were safe to climb on. 

ehm.... yeah who's got some feedback and ideas !!! 

:)

Laura

dwagner
dwagner's picture

KIDS DISCO! Awesome. I am happy to be adult supervisuals at some point. Ooops supervision I mean :) We may even be able to wrangle playlist from Ben Lodge as he is DJing at the school disco and should have scored heaps of music from the kids. Will chase up when at school next.

Dress ups sounds great too. Will keep an eye out for cool stuff. Will be back on this page when more comes to mind.

Cheer~

Raramai
Raramai's picture

I liked the idea that came up in the visuals forum....I was planning on making a giant spider web in the glo-zone, and I think it was Guppy's suggestion that maybe the kids would like to do a workshop making creepy crawlies on Saturday, and then take them home with them on Sunday. I will keep aside some material that will glo in the dark if otherss think this is a good idea.

Mary Bell
Mary Bell's picture

Sounds awesome! Good on you Ra, Think creepy crawlies would look great. Cath had a idea of bottle fish painted...... they could be in the workshop maybe..... she saw them on you tube I think.... they look easy and just need to upcycle a drink bottle  and add paint.... that could be part of an installation too...... school project first so perhaps some of the Karamea kids will help lead some of the festival kids in the kids zone even.....    I Love it how the Karamea crew thinks of the children XXX

Raramai
Raramai's picture

what's the school project Mary?

dguppy
dguppy's picture

School project along the lines of doing a workshop with Karamea kids before the festival? Debs did this sort of thing last year a couple of weeks before the festival onsite, at the reserve, in the sun. Was a great day and we used all those kids art pices to decorate the kidzone. So would be cool to come up with concept projects and have a go pre festival..... good plan.........

Mary Bell
Mary Bell's picture

school project was just a idea.... but this whole creepy crawly thing or fish thing would then give numbers in to an installation ... and help the kids to lead the way. https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=plastic+fish+out+of+drink+bottles&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwin44f3v7rJAhWkKaYKHWBzCUcQsAQIIA&dpr=1

And Yes Debs did a great job of this last year!!

Mary Bell
Mary Bell's picture

school project was just a idea.... but this whole creepy crawly thing or fish thing would then give numbers in to an installation ... and help the kids to lead the way. https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=plastic+fish+out+of+drink+bottles&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwin44f3v7rJAhWkKaYKHWBzCUcQsAQIIA&dpr=1

And Yes Debs did a great job of this last year!!

Laura
Laura's picture

Hi all,

creepy crawly / upcycled bottle ide sounds awesome, especially if they were glow in the dark.... as for a pre festival workshop with the kids, I'll be happy to help out for that like last year. 

Also : To Raramai, I have read in one of the emails you are involved in the safety zone....what I was wondering would it be a good idea to "convert" kidzone tent into safety zone tent after hours, or is a safety zone meant to be 24 hours? Do you have an idea on whether this could work or not? 

Cheers :)

Laura

dwagner
dwagner's picture

Hi there,

Happy  to do a pre-festival art workshop with kids again like we did last year. Was pretty cool as there were a few keen parents amongst the kids and Laura which is always awesome :) Happy to formulate a plan with those interested in helping. Would be good to also come up with some art around the kid zone  along with the glow zone. Any theme in mind for the kid zone? I do like the idea of fish for some reason or somehow tying in what ever the main structure of the kid zone is which the flying fox runs off.....tying that in with the art. Thoughts?

Laura
Laura's picture

Wooohooo let's do it !!

Theme  Glow glow glow and oh did I say more Glow.....what if we make everything glow in the Kidzone so it becomes an extension of the glow zone? Please please pleeeeezzzz

How cool would that be.  Compromise......Glow Fish ????

Raramai
Raramai's picture

To Laura: re safety zone... we are fortunate to have a group of experienced and trained safety crew volunteers coming with all their own gear including a large tent. They are attending a lot of the south island summer festivals before coming to ours. So my role now is to liaise between the safety crew and security. Not having to set up a whole safety zone will hopefully leave me with time to get into the glo-zone!!

dwagner
dwagner's picture

We need some body glow paint as well I think. Perhaps there could be glow paint thrown into the mix for face painting so all the kids and adults can join in the glow fun :) Lets get crackin on heaps of glow art ideas so we can put some info out early for the kids workshop say the weekend before school starts which will be the 30th of January, does that sound like a good date?

Laura
Laura's picture

Hi Ra,

oh that's great...to have an experienced team working on that !

cheers for the reply :)

Laura
Laura's picture

Hi Debs and everyone who reads this

January 30th I can pencil in now. It's good to have a date early on, Kaia has said to me she's happy to help out, if I give her Jan 30th as the date she can book a day off from work for this.

Also with the art idea and possible theme: fish and glow= glow fish right? What if we made the theme something like "Under the Sea", we could make fishies with the kids, but also giant glow octopus and jellyfish etc.... seaweed.....and whatever else......if we could do this all with glow paints, the kidzone could be a good extension of the glow zone. 

I was already saying at the last festival how cool it would be to extend the glowzone into the kidzone at night. 

We do need resources in the form of a couple of extra blacklights and we need to know what sort of glow paint/ glow body paint we need, as well as what it will cost etc.

The idea also pops into my head to have a glow body painting workshop for adults say on Saturday sometime, and then we can see the results on Saturday night? Just another loose idea. Maybe someting similar for the kids, especially if they're having a kids disco.

So what do you reckon, we put the word out for "Who's got more blacklights"? Also anyone have some feedback on what I just wrote?

Laura
Laura's picture

Hi Debs and everyone who reads this

January 30th I can pencil in now. It's good to have a date early on, Kaia has said to me she's happy to help out, if I give her Jan 30th as the date she can book a day off from work for this.

Also with the art idea and possible theme: fish and glow= glow fish right? What if we made the theme something like "Under the Sea", we could make fishies with the kids, but also giant glow octopus and jellyfish etc.... seaweed.....and whatever else......if we could do this all with glow paints, the kidzone could be a good extension of the glow zone. 

I was already saying at the last festival how cool it would be to extend the glowzone into the kidzone at night. 

We do need resources in the form of a couple of extra blacklights and we need to know what sort of glow paint/ glow body paint we need, as well as what it will cost etc.

The idea also pops into my head to have a glow body painting workshop for adults say on Saturday sometime, and then we can see the results on Saturday night? Just another loose idea. Maybe someting similar for the kids, especially if they're having a kids disco.

So what do you reckon, we put the word out for "Who's got more blacklights"? Also anyone have some feedback on what I just wrote?

Raramai
Raramai's picture

Possible suggestions for Kidzone workshops could be what's been discussed so far.....creepy crawlies (long snakes, spiders, hairy, tactile, spongy creatures??), and glow-fish made with drink bottles. I reckon anything to do with gardens would be cool. A while back Kaia suggested painting the top half of rocks so they look like they are hovering in the dark - on that point, it made me think that it pays to bear in mind that any light spill will affect the impact of the glow. Also would want to consider if there is a spare UV light available?

I've had a couple of cool suggestions for the glo-zone over the weekend - one was to enclose it somehow - maybe tarps or black plastic which would really intensify it, also maybe add strategically placed mirors for that infinity effect. If it's possible we'd like to look at extending it a bit on the right hand side where the camping started. I like Liz's idea of driftwood pathways, and thought we could make some leading to the glo-zone and have them make an archway to make an entrance to the glo-zone. The path could also go to the Kidzone and the driftwood can be painted with glow paint (made in a kid's workshop)?

I may be able to supply some songs for the kids disco as well - I got a bunch for Kotuku's birthday disco a few years back. And my old controller would be perfect for the kids to use (it's robust!) if you're interested, but I just have to check that my old computer still hooks up to it as it's impossible to find drivers for it to use on other laptops etc. I will check and get back to you.

Raramai
Raramai's picture

sorry..wrote my last suggestion and realised Laura had just posted a new one. Under the sea sounds amazing. Cath and I are going to do the spiderweb thing in the glo-zone as we have already started planning that, but definitely a cool idea to have that somehow lead out to the Kidzone underwater idea. Whatever happens it will look freaking amazeballs! I have one UV light bulb but I don't think it will be strong enough to have an effect outside.

Raramai
Raramai's picture

Jellyfish and seaweed sound brilliant! jellyfish tendrils can be made with long strips of bubblewrap. I have some left over from my calypso party outfit that I will get to you if you want.

Re UV body paint... this is a link to trademe and the paints I purchased a while back that unfortunately went walkabouts from the Kidzone after one of the festivals.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/lifestyle/novelty/auction-990323634...

They are small compact containers and you use it with a wet brush and it goes a long way. If you get the UV finger lights as well then kids have their own UV supply to illuminate themselves. Simon Buck used these at the gig we did at the Lyric in 2011.

There are definitely larger containers of glow body paint on the market, so give it a google and see what you think.

This is where I got my blacklight bulbs from

https://www.mish.co.nz/

dwagner
dwagner's picture

Wow, super psyched about the ideas and feedback happnin. Idea on transition between creepy crawlies and underwater sea creatures.....what about those awesome glowing sea slugs and super disco octopus which can be seen here.....https://www.ecosia.org/images?q=bottom+of+the+sea+creatures+glow+in+the+dark&size=&until=&aspect=&f=false

Laura I reckon January 30th is a goer!

dguppy
dguppy's picture

may well have the ways and means to erect a submarine stage sculpture, a solid  dome like covered stage/creative area about 4 metres in diameter that can be turned into a submarine with the addition of fabric, a periscope and a viewing portal. Blues and greens and fish and diving suits would all be great additions also. This could host worshops/ dj/ disco booth/ puppet shows/ face painting etc and of course could glow glow GLOW!!!!

dguppy
dguppy's picture

Just been discussing submarines at Seth and Sina's, thinking it should of course be Yellow........

..... and we should get the Beatles to come and play in it!!!!!!!

Raramai
Raramai's picture

my old computer and old controller are alive and kicking, got some kids dance songs, if you have some also let me know

dguppy
dguppy's picture

Sure we will be able to pull some out.........

Was putting the yellow submarine idea to Brendan and he pointed out that it would need an "Octopus's Garden"....... thought that would be your domain there Ra....... A Static sculpture of your Octopuses costume with a UV sea garden around it???? Whatchya Recon???

Raramai
Raramai's picture

sounds good Guppy! i can definitely bring the jellyfish along

Liz K
Liz K's picture

Wow, yellow submarine and an octopusses garden... sounds like home, love it :D  Hoping to be around on 30th and keen to help out with all things creative :)

Happy new year to you all... not long now x

dguppy
dguppy's picture

Look forward to seeing you back in these parts Liz,

If you are on fabric hunting, please keep an eye out for a bunch of yelllow.......

If you happen to see a periscope, a porthole or anything that belongs in an Octopuses Garden that would be great too :)

See ya soon   

dwagner
dwagner's picture

Hey Ra,

We will definately have some tunes for the kids Dj zone, will make a collection and pass them on in due time. I am also happy to help with glow creations so if you are thinking of having a creation day let me know :)

Raramai
Raramai's picture

Hi all,

just to save any confusion i thought i'd mention i'll be working on the glozone area rather than the kidzone-glow stuff. I want to make the glozone a bit bigger this year and had planned with bernie, cath and chad to make it an enclosed space with black plastic that you walk into. i know people were talking about making it extend to kidzone, which is all good, but due to time i can only commit to the one area. i'll be busy with work near the time of the festival, so have been chipping away making some things for glozone at home in the meantime.

i am also limited in resources and can't locate the box of glo materials from Alana (can't find it at the dairy factory) so would suggest to kidzone crew to collect as much uv type material you can find (which you maybe already are).

has anyone thought about what uv lamps will be needed? if it's not in an enclosed or dark space it will need to be pretty powerful. i'm not sure if Flow is coming to the festival but I know she has a really good one that she might hire out maybe?

i can contribute the octopus, and lots of bubble wrap for tendrils etc. also pc and machine for the disco (but would appreciate some help from other parents to play tunes and/or supervise the gear if i'm not there the whole time). On that note, does anyone have any thoughts on how long it will run and what time starting? sunset is at 9pm if you want the uv to be effective, but i imagine you'd want to start earlier for the younger ones?? just wondering how many hours of music i would need to have? i'm thinking 3, or 4 at most?

dguppy
dguppy's picture

Good call to put the record straight on realistic goals..... especially at this stage........ ideas are often greater than eventual output but ya only get what ya aim for so why not go high.........

I will be concentrating on kidzone structure and hopefully will be teamed up with Brendan ( who once upon a time not so long ago used to have phone/internet/house and constant comms) again.

This is likely to transpire into submarine foundation structure ( an abstract, yet solid form that will be roughly 2 m high and 4 metres in diameter). Yet to be coupled with some yellow fabric, a periscope and portholes and a decorator to attatch them to give it some yellow submarine semblance.

A flying fox

A Slackline ( low tightrope)

A fountain

And hopefully the other remaining KSM toilet.

Disco, glow, and Octopuses garden are still a bunch of coceptual ideas waiting to be leapt upon, tamed and turned into reality.

A dedicated decorator,periscope engineer, fabric putterupperer, flag flyer and octopuses garden grower would be awesome

Also any performers, disco organisers would be great.

Hoping to make it on Friday providing granite creek behaves itself.

dwagner
dwagner's picture

Kids Disco, happy to put a couple of hours in to managing our future dj's. Will we be doing a disco both nights or just the Saturday for a final blow out for the young party goers? I vote the Saturday....giving them something to look forward to. Have we got a structure in mind so the sound gear will be protected as well? Looking forward to this at this years festival for sure :)

Happy to also be flag girl again for the kidzone, the collection just keeps growing which is fantastic for most parties around the Karamea area.

Thinking perhaps the kidzone should step back from the glozone idea and just get Stu on board for some exceptional submarine at night lighting ideas. Could be tricky collecting heaps of uv fabric at this stage but with some good lighting it could all still work really well. Happy to still do a kids workshop with Laura for creating decorative bits especially now that we have a theme. Will chat with her and get the ball rolling on that one soon.

Will also see what transpires with the cafe front before committing to too much more on kidzone setup. Will be in touch on that one.

Cheers!

sacha
sacha's picture

Hey everybody,

Have been in touch with Liz, Gary and Guppy, and I'm keen to focus on decor for the kids zone.

Some ideas - Octopus - Raramai, your creation is a jellyfish not an octopus right? I'd love to make a big supplejack octopus, have it climbing over the log in the currently grassy little spot between the flying fox and where Gary normally camps. Talked to Guppy and Brendan about that little spot being like a kids chill zone, have two of the octopus's arms creating a sort of nest area behind the log then spilling over into the 'garden' of the other side. Need tons of supplejack obviously, will check out Fenian, any other ideas on accessible spots to grab that from?

Would be cool to have Mr Octopus spewing bubbles if someone has a machine?

- Was thinking to try and get a load of drink cans (ideally colourful ones like Sprite and Coke but Tui etc probably be good too), cut them into sea creature shapes and string them like bunting all around the area, shiny fishy things swimming through the trees.... maybe could be part of the kids creation day on the 30th? Will check out dump and Westport and maybe see what could be brought from Chch to get LOADS of cans

- Tonic water flouresces really well under UV, so if we got a load of small cheap tonic waters the kids could decorate some of those as the fish drink bottles? Have them winding into UV area from kids zone? Could sprout legs as they approach the creepy-crawly interior...

- Clam shell sandpits, full of...?

- Fishing net strung up, sort of climbing frame type thing?

Keen to hear any feedback :) I'm excited to be part of it this year! I'm happy to get making stuff from now on.

dguppy
dguppy's picture

Bubble machine ordered and sorted

Lighting/electrics should be sorted by usual suspects

solar lit jelly fish and supplejack octopus will look great with treasure chest and a divers helmet ( need some old skool thin foam tramping matresses x 3)

Coral istallations and material and tin can underwater marine creatures looking sweet, maybe make use of kids workshops

metal skeleton frame andYellow Material for yellow submarine sorted

Lauras PA installed in yellow submarine, lowish volume concentratign on inside of sub, along with benches and matresses ( whose got the benches and matresses?) kids disco Saturday nite.

Flying fox, same, spot, up before festival.

Stack of bamboo on site pre festival, some used for submarine, good stack left for friday workshop kids climbing frame.

Fountain, should be sorted.

Whose up for periscope, few inches wide, longish diameter, real mirrors? art installation

So far so good

dwagner
dwagner's picture

Kids Art Workshop, Saturday January 30th

Hey there kid zone idea creators. Seems we may need to advertise for the kids workshop and gather supplies that are needed in the next couple of weeks. So, wondering if next weekend those interested parties...(Laura, Sacha, Guppy, Kaia, myself, and anyone I may not have mentioned would like to meet at the Oparara to discuss decorations and then Laura and I would have a good idea of what we will be creating with the kids at the workshop. So with that in mind how does Sunday the 24th sound at the Oparara say 2ish? Also Laura has mentioned that Kaia is keen to help but if anyone else would like to join us for some fun art with kids on the 30th you are more than welcome. Could be a fun space to work on stuff together at any rate.  Also, Laura.....what time will suite you on the 30th? Also should we try and sort a back up location in case of rain? First place that comes to mind would be the PlayCentre just for ease of clean up etc. Thoughts? May ask the PlayCentre folks and see what they think. Once we have a time set I will make up a flyer to put on FB, website and around town. Cheers. :)

Laura
Laura's picture

Hi Debs and all, 24th 2pm sounds great for a catchup on what to make and what we need for the kids workshop on the 30th. I shall be there and will check with Kaia to see if she's working or not on that day.

On the 30th itself it would be good (for me) to be finished around 4pm, cause I have a gig that night. So what if we start around 11am? Also kindy as a bad weather alternative sounds great :)

Laura
Laura's picture

Hi Debs and all, 24th 2pm sounds great for a catchup on what to make and what we need for the kids workshop on the 30th. I shall be there and will check with Kaia to see if she's working or not on that day.

On the 30th itself it would be good (for me) to be finished around 4pm, cause I have a gig that night. So what if we start around 11am? Also kindy as a bad weather alternative sounds great :)

Raramai
Raramai's picture

Hey Sacha, yeah it was a jellyfish but could have been adapted. A large supplejack one sounds awesome though! The fenian does have easy access to supplejack. The leaves are always pretty tangly at the top and hard to pull out but loppers help. Rubber ties are good for holding things in place while you're getting the shape. Can't wait to see the kidzone come to life!

SS Ferneliza
SS Ferneliza's picture

Hey kidzoners,  I will be along to join in the creative fun, I got the girls to make a couple of the drink bottle fish, that Kath mentioned a couple of weeks ago, and I think they look great, will bring them along for scrutiny, then we can look at collecting a bunch of bottles from the recycling, look forward to sharing ideas on Sunday x Sina

dwagner
dwagner's picture

Hi guys,

Sina! Fantastic.....Guppy said the bottle fish look great and kid friendly, perfect :) I was thinking of throwing in the idea of making driftwood star fish which can be put together and decorated by the kids as well. Spray paint and sparkly stuff.....anyone have some hot glue guns? Thought I could bring along the genie and a multiplug to plug the glue guns into and we're away! Laura....if you have any ideas for a project and know the supplies you may need let me know by Tuesday night.....same with you Sina (sorry for the short notice) I am off to Nelson on Wednesday morning and will be back Thursday night or Friday. You can also ring me if you think of anything after I go 021 236 7763. Happy to pick up whatever is needed. On that note I think Gups has different plans for the Sunday and has asked if I can shift our get together to Monday or Tuesday. What do you guys think? I suppose it doesn't have to be at the Oparara and if we have our plans and supplies sorted maybe it isn't necessary? Not sure I'm happy either way :) I better get that flyer sorted aye? xx

Oh what about flax seaweed? Thin bits processed, spray painted or dyed? Strung up? Thoughts???

SS Ferneliza
SS Ferneliza's picture

hmm bright green dazzle could be handy re seaweed?  I have a hot glue gun, no glue.

Any day suits me, maybe after tennis? xx  Love the starfish idea x

dwagner
dwagner's picture

Sina,

Check your email :)

Laura
Laura's picture

Hey Kidzonerz.......

Are we using this thread for the 2017 event? 

Let's hear it..... 

dguppy
dguppy's picture

Hi Laura

Have created a kidzone 2017 forum.

See ya there....Wink

Login or register to post comments

Please Note:   The content, views and opinions on these forums are the sole responsibility of its authors. The content has not necessarily been reviewed by the sponsors or administrators of this website. Submit feedback about this content.

X
You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
The password field is case sensitive.