Resonance 2016 Visuals

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Brendan
Brendan's picture
Resonance 2016 Visuals

Marketing.

Let's just leave that word there eh? There's something about that word that shouldn't even be placed in the same sentence as Resonance.

I've just had a look through the Resonance Facebook page and there is a trove of images there that capture the vibe. I'm sure there are as many on personal FB pages out there but, as a non-facebooker I'm loath and probably not authorised to go through the lot. The Resonance homepage is functioning well but the images there are well out of date

Think zones, then upload your pics.
Think posters and t-shirts??? then upload your pics

Many thanks,

Brendan

dguppy
dguppy's picture
Re: Resonance 2016 Visuals

I have looked back over our photos over the last couple of years and havnt got anything too great compared to years previous...... got me thinking that

1) Would love to get back into photographing

2) Would a photography plan for this year be useful ie/ getting the key photographers to make sure all the key aspects of the fetival are well captured. There have been some amazing photos over the years but sometimes some great moments or installations are not captured (or at least shared)due to the random nature of when cameras are picked up and where they are pointed.

3) It would be safe to assume that there are many great shots that we dont get to see, some are posted on facebook but there may be some taken that dont make it to shared spaces. Maybe we can make an incentive for these to be uploaded to a common site ( facebook, karamea wesite, other options).

Aside from that, I shall delve into the archives for worthy tee shirt, marketing etc.. shots

Raramai
Raramai's picture

i figured this kinda went in there with 'visuals' - i wanted to ask if anyone had any thoughts on themes/colours this year (last year was orange, purple and naturals if I remember correctly). i'm thinking that with friday 13th and valentines day, that there could be a red ccolour scheme in there? just a thought. also wondred if anyone was keen on working on the glo-zone - Kath...are you on the forum??

dguppy
dguppy's picture

Gonna head down and cook some steaks, spuds and saussies with some salad and sunset sunshine ( possibly showers???)........on a spontaneous sunday arvo escapade and could mull such things a colour schemes while down there.

Come along if ya get the message in time ( 3pm ish now)

:)

dguppy
dguppy's picture

So went down to the reserve and pondered colours.......that side of things not really my forte but red sure would look good in there.

Be good to make the call to give the creative bunnies something to work towards.

:)

Mary Bell
Mary Bell's picture

I really do not think red is the colour of the Oparara. I get the whole valentines... maybe red lantern for lights etc.... but as far as fabric goes The Oparara has another energy than red in my view.   Summer festive..... colours would have orange in there... but red is such an angry colour too.... think bull fighting.... we are way calmer than this I reckon   <3

dguppy
dguppy's picture

We could pick five colours, send out a voting paper and get people to rank them in order of preference........

SS Ferneliza
SS Ferneliza's picture

maybe we should hold a referendum to see if we really want a colour at all!?! Ha, just kidding!!  

I love red, I love orange and yellow. Hot hot  They would compliment the greeness of Oparara?

however

I like the idea of lots of bright colours, all of them, everywhere.  I didnt notice the purple orange thing come through at all last year, except the lovely hanging, Gary and Mary made.

Raramai
Raramai's picture

More than happy for someone else to make a decision about colours. The reasons I mentioned it are 1. There was a feedback comment a few years back that there was no theme, due to that I believe orange and purple (and naturals) were used, but I'm not sure it worked as a 'theme' (Liz, can you comment?). 2. discussion on this forum had gone stagnant, and with just over 10 weeks to go I would like to get cracking now rather than when I am up to my neck with work (hospitality and tomatoes will be all-consuming shortly). 3. I thought of red as a starting point to tie in both Friday 13th and Valentines day. Colours are subjective and have different meanings for different people. I wasn't suggesting the whole of the Oparara be covered in it like a Christo and Jeanne Claude artwork, and as we know there will be a plethora of colour everywhere, as is usual for any of our festivals. Red doesn't equal anger to me - I mean this website is red and it isn't an angry website, is it? And of course there are many shades of red, ie deep dark rose red, blood red etc. 'Karamea' also means red ochre, and red is the colour our Karamea sports teams use. Oparara is it's own colour, but we add to that for a couple of days, then we try to leave it in it's natural state again.

so, questions....

do we want a theme? suggestions please?

do we want to use colours to help portray that theme? it seems most people like warm colours.

do we want to acknowledge Friday 13th?

do we want to acknowledge valentine's day?

I would also like to suggest an idea for the glo-zone - I am thinking of a large white glowing spider-web at the top with creepy crawlies hanging down. any thoughts?

dguppy
dguppy's picture

I'm voting Red ( happy Red that is), Orange and Yellow if there is a theme to be, lets get making.......

Spider web glowzone sounds fun

Creepy crawly workshop on the Friday/Saturday? Maybe Laura and Kaia up for that in the kidzone if we give them materials, kids hang them up for the night then pick them up Sunday?

Always love the big flags on long bamboo flanking the drive in

desmo
desmo's picture

Ducati Red like . Sounds like a great idea .

Mary Bell
Mary Bell's picture

hi all. firstly I want to say that I am happy to see Karamea once again get ready to host its awesome magic  at their Resonance festival next year. Its great to read your passionate thoughts on the Oparara and the festival and to see ownership flourish in to roles. I put up my my hand to work on the decor team again. Last year I worked along side Liz and Gary to try and capture more of a theme and to decorate the spaces we needed to fill. This Year Liz is once again the cooridnater of the decor team and I cant wait to work with her and our team and put thoughts in to practise creating the magical spaces again. It is exciting and good to hear all of your views, However I feel this thread is not really the best way to communicate as people in the wider community are missing out. Cath and Bernie, Georga and Liz to name a few are very much involved at supporting this festival and their voices are important too. I am sure there are many more. The email list seemed to gather more momentum for moving forward. Perhaps this forum is just a good place to start the conversation for some but personally I liked the pot luck dinners and emails as it seemed a wider discussuion was more inclusive. This thread sounds a bit like we are all going off on to our own tangent which is fine but not really the unity we need to create such a harmonous event.     Personally  for colour themes I  would suggest we look up some of their meanings http://www.empower-yourself-with-color-psychology.com/meaning-of-colors.html and really use them all in balance with the natual beauty of the reserve.  I think its lovely that Karamea has a valentines festival and little red hearts could be quite cute....... Raj did some nice red hearts on his flagged gate last year, Perhaps the deocr team could talk about introuducing a little red in to their array of summer colour fun. 

dguppy
dguppy's picture

Enjoying this community website as a tool of communication, alongside the multitude of other options...... like anything it is the sum of its parts moulded by the intention. Certainly a great way to start a converation and appreciated at this time as the 10 week count down is about to begin..... happy to have some something to mull over and get thinking about festy wise as its getting pretty hectic in kids/garden/work/homeproject /holiday/ family gathering world/ . Potluck , keen as..... away lots in the coming month but back most weekends. Threads like this should enhance the face to face gatherings and for those tuned in... its easy to summarise and table ideas.

I would think there is a fair awareness of the site and the banter of ideas is about stimulation rather than absolutes

It also has the potential to reach people we may not know need reaching and inspire those who stumble upon it ( in fact it has)

An e mail list is another tool but limited only to those on the list........ certainly good for direct communication wihin a defined circle.

This site was built with great intentions and has the potential to reach the whole community........ do they all need to know about Resonance 2016 visuals????? well hey, thats another topic....... this thread, should we focus on the topic should be a means of stimulating ideas about festy visuals......... maybe a point not to finalise anything.

Allready done its job for me..........Im thinking FESTY TIME and I wasnt so much before.

Is Bernie seriously not tuned into this???? ( could have some fun getting him hooked up.......great online banterman that he is....)

How about we have the muppet show band playing on the Oparara bridge for the folks arriving on Friday???? just saying!!!!

dguppy
dguppy's picture

Ducati Red sounds racey Dave..... hows about you spend the whole time hooning around on the bike creating a random red streak through the festival....... a great blurry red intallation , could be a first on the festival scene....

SS Ferneliza
SS Ferneliza's picture

I thought the whole point of these threads was to weave a bigger net to catch more fish.  We need to send ANOTHER email to the "list" to ensure that people utilise this community forum.  If I was just sent emails, I would not pipe up and have a say, sending it to someones "many peoples" email address, whereas on this forum, I will and people can read it if they want to. Chur

dwagner
dwagner's picture

I like red. It reminds me of love. It also reminds me of fast motorbikes.....Dave. It also reminds me of getting sunburned so perhaps it will help people to remember to wear a hat and sunscreen.

I like red. Its got me vote :)

Mary Bell
Mary Bell's picture

Good on ya for sending out the link again, see you already baited a newbee who thought things had gone very quiet on it. Thats the story and it is great having a forum so we can all say what we think. I just wanted to say that with Paddy's carving both Gary and I were not on this forum and both felt left out of something in which we both very much organised and felt connected too. I was just hoping that no one felt like that in regards to somethings being discussed with out them being part of it, but its great to hear thoughts and share, just maybe not the final podcast if you get my drift. Just loving the Karamea crew and the mighty Oparara and wanting to feel very much involved and in respect of the energy of the festival crew. 

Liz K
Liz K's picture

Hey Karamea family... and those who are beyond :) ...I signed up to the forum a whie back, but thanks for the gentle nudge to re-engage, bout time!

So far no specific colour scheme has been decided on or proposed apart from the convo here. as far as I know . Last year the idea was to have purple and green with nature bits and bobs - in reality the budget for any new fabric was pretty tight so we had the usual mish mash of whatever lovely things we could find with plenty of nikau palms thrown in for good measure, and a small bit of green and purple lycra on the bendy bamboo shade tree structures by the electronic decks.

To me keeping things close to nature seems an obvious choice, and since we'll have limited funds, and want to keep things sustainable, I'd say working within our means using or upcycling what we have will once again form the backbone of however we decorate, possible with one or two key new bits.  I'm sure the suitcases of fabirc at the dairy will come out again (some great sari's and other big bits of fabric in there), and the awesome glo-zone stuff which is built on each year.  We also have an abundance of driftwood which I'm keen to make a bit more of this year (... faery paths?) if someone/a team have the energy and inclination for a driftwood sculpture that would be rockin.  Considering asking for a couple of artists to build some form of larger installation as part of set up - thoughts?

So far as red goes, it wouldn't be my first thought, but I do love red- to me it's warm colour and would go well with orange, purple, pink - kind of indian/berry colours... reminds me of Indian summers, hot love and the heart chakra!  More than happy to go with it if it's a general consensus.

I've been playing with introducing sacred geometry as a theme, although this can get pretty technical, if done well can be really something - been working on the flower of life motif as a possible shade structure idea for over the top of electronic zone (which if I'm right would be over the river beach this year..?).  This would involve triangles of lycra hooked together to form a circular dappled shade suspended on bamboo poles, with further long lycra triangles sweeping off the guys holding the poles up creating little sitting shade tents.  Not sure how much purchasing the lycra would cost yet, or if we could afford it. just an idea....

Spoke with Gary recently about the propect of resurrecting the geodoesic dome - if this was the case I'd love to somehow decorate it so it blends a bit more with the rest of festival, or becomes an attractive feature of it's own (not just a big white blob).  Maybe it could be the mouth of a big green friendly monster?  Whatever the plan, it's a big area to cover so we would need something we can get lots of.

Other thoughts I'm percolating are: elfinish gateway to tribal and other tribal earthy wonders (Sina, sure you're already thining away on this?), quirky loo decorations, tinfoil ree fairies (Mary..?), more defined pathways, gateway to woodland, giant installations (Raramai - trust you'll be bringing your supplejack awesomeness?), flags, wind chimes, danglers, 

For anyone wanting to gather specific bits for decoration I'd say the more fabric in bigger pieces the better - if it looks funky we can probably use it - thinking a kind of bedouin tent with billowing fabric and leafy bamboo for community stage.  Planning on dangling lots of things that move in the breeze, so even scraps of fabric can be used as streamers on the bottom of dream catchers etc.  Lanterns, old cd's, dangly shiny things, crystals...  There's always more we can do so any decor resources you wanna throw in the mix go for it :D

Do we want a colour theme?  We could say warm colours for electronic and more sea colours blues and greens for community (thinking of the gorgeous wave MB made)?

Open to thoughts... colours.... suggestions.... ideas..... I'll post some pictures and designs when my sketches are a bit more legible - aware time is ticking along! 

Phew, that wa sa long one... I'm off to bed folks..can't wait to hang with you all soon xx

Mary Bell
Mary Bell's picture

beautiful Liz. love the thought of funked up loos. thinking if we are celebrating valintines maybe origami hearts to dangle.... origami workshop anyone?   nice you mention budget too... dreams are free..... reality of the budget hey. maybe we could theme the market place with love hearts. God the market place was lovely at night last year. in fact so was this whole little festy! In truth we don't need to do too much but be ourselves and put it together and it will be pure magic!

Gary B Smith
Gary B Smith's picture

...only want to make a brief comment on communication. We already have a core group of people we communicate with through email, lets build on that with the use of the community forum, that way we grow our audience... I would suggest that by flicking out an email highlighting the theme of the forum discussion and a link (perhaps by the person who instigated the discussion) over time the email group will eventually all be signed up to the community website... this process will take time and I feel mindfulness on our behalf not to leave anyone behind...

dguppy
dguppy's picture

Also big fan of funked up toilets, festy toilets can come in any form from "vile" to "bearable" to "not to bad actually", to" pretty cool" to "Im actually looking forward to going to the toilet". I think we are getting there but could definately improve.

I have wire cables and tension equipment so can rig up some very strong and tight cables to suspend sculptures off.

I would love to be involved in driftwood sculptures but reluctant to commit there due to other missions. The idea of involving artists in the set up is worth exploring

Would love to comment more on Liz's ideas but still digesting the surge of creative input..... awesome!!!

Have assumed that people involved in previous forums are all hooked in to the subscription by e mail.... if not its worth doing.... not a huge amount of traffic to fill your inbox except in times of hot topics....... and still more entertaining than facebook for me.......

Big fan of good communication, listening, being adaptable and responding

Happy to post to e mail about a new forum topic, have never really composed a group e mail but hopefully this catches on soon enough

Raramai
Raramai's picture

Been looking at the wrong dates on the facebook event page all this time (no Friday 13th).

So Liz - as decor co-ordinator, are you happy with this so we can get a move on.....

Warm colours for electronic, sea greens and blues for community? Origami hearts Mary suggested. Is there anything else we can confirm so far?

Supplejack sculptures from last year are at the Dairy factory.

It would be good to get feedback from the crew about the geodesic dome and if that is a go-ahead, then we can suggest options for decorating it.

Thinking in terms of budget, what was the cost of the lycra used in the electronic zone last year over the speakers? Are these structures available to use for decorating this year? I thought they looked beautiful.

Is everyone happy for Cath and I to go ahead with our ideas in the Glo-zone? If anyone wants to join us then please holla.

For the 2017 summer festival I would like to see us work on a Timeline. Many areas of the festival impact on other areas - as we can see here Decor pretty much covers most of the festival. If we have a theme/colour preference then why not decide on that early in the year so those who take on a specific zone can start planning/collecting/making throughout the year. Some of us do not have any holidays in summer as we have to make up for the lack of employment over winter here in Karamea. Some of us also like to be creative without the pressure of time, so that we are not so knackered at the festival and can enjoy it. I can't see why various aspects of planning need to be done in the last 3 months when we have 12 months. I realise some aspects can't be sorted early on like Artists and workshops and food, but I will start a forum for discussion for those who are interested in a timeline. I also realise people are concentrating on this event, but like any other forum it will be there if and when you choose to join in.

Liz K
Liz K's picture

Totally fine by me, as long as there no objections from anyone else... team?

As Mary says, we'll bring the magic ourselves when we turn up, however the more input from everyone, the better :)

Not sure of the price of the lycra from last year - Gary? But as far as I know it's still there for us to recycle this year (maybe in the community stage if we're using more sea colours...).  Quick search says that lycra broadcheet at Spotlight is $6/m a the mo in a few colours: http://www.spotlightstores.com/nz/yarn/knitted-apparel-fabrics/lycra-dance-swimwear-knits/broadcloth/p/BP80070688001

xx

Login or register to post comments

Please Note:   The content, views and opinions on these forums are the sole responsibility of its authors. The content has not necessarily been reviewed by the sponsors or administrators of this website. Submit feedback about this content.

X
You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
The password field is case sensitive.