Zoning for Resonance 2016

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
Brendan
Brendan's picture
Zoning for Resonance 2016

What?

So I keep hearing about succession planning. In terms of our Resonance festival, it has been mooted that responsibility will be shared among committed individuals as opposed to a single overseer. From my experience there are people who are naturally gravitating toward certain areas of responsibility but I believe that this 'free acceptance' of responsibility needs to be more visible and perhaps even more formal.

If the entire event is carved into it's componants - marketing/advertising, artist liaison, council/doc/educational trust liaison, ground crew, security, food/kitchen space, kidszone, tribalzone, community zone, main zone, stage management, sound, lighting, utilities (water, power, toilets), workshops, markets, it appears as if there are a dozen or more specific areas that need management.

It is my understanding that, at some point, the community will be asked (by Gary - correct me if I'm wrong) to offer expressions of interest for these roles. Judging by the success of the Resonance thread and piggy-backing on the wave of our Winter bonanza, I am compelled to start asking those questions now.

I feel we need a fresh look at zoning the festival site. The where, how and why is a topic that I'm sure will generate some debate. For instance, I feel this winter's zone location ought to be the new home for the community space. And the kidszone should migrate across the road into the open grassy area.

So without going too much further, I'm calling for a discussion on zoning the festival site and by default am inviting a 'zone crew' to make yourselves known so that when festy time comes, we know where we stand (by consensus) and are free to invest ourselves in more hands-on enterprises.

And so......

SS Ferneliza
SS Ferneliza's picture
Re: Zoning for Resonance 2016

Okay the Island girl is going tribal on yer [beep]!

ummm I mean, my hands up in regards to the tribal zone, Cheers. Sina

dguppy
dguppy's picture

Zoning.....

I feel the feeling of the winter solstice layout worked well for a stage/fire huddle and was snugged out of the fresh crispy breezes.

Should that become Resonance Community Stage in the summertime then the ideal campsites surrounding that area become changed possibly from family camping into ????...... little pockets of associated community happs such as sculpture installations????? camping for those who love sleeping next to community stages.?????

To break the original mould is bold, unsettling ( wheres the flying fox gonna go...????).  yet challenging

Mixing it up and keeping it fresh is surely something to consider. If the kidzone moves into the wide open spaces across the road then family camping should follow it into the riverside forest possibly though would be close to tribal which depending on peoples late night animal skin doof enthusiasm, could make it a noisy place to camp.

Very important we consider family sleep/play/safe balance.......that river edge is a bit dodgy for young uns that may wander.....

Having kidzone out in the open means more potential for organised open field games, frisbee, cricket etc..... and complemented by unicycle riding and such. Also more sun exposure.....

Also market/cafe space fits well within site of community stage so thoughts for that too....

Did we get a good debrief as to how the market/cafe ran???? I beleive it wasnt ideal for Dion to shut down during dinner time as the kitchen was used for artists/volunteers....... set up in general was pretty cool...... Dion not being a computer user will need a platform to put out his thoughts on that at some stage.

Also with the way that sea is starting to eat into the riverbank/forest, ideas need to be tabled on erosion prevention.... possibly in a new thread....

Should formal commitments be called upon the kidzone is still the zone for me with possible room depending on work commitments to stretch over to other aspects also......

:)

dwagner
dwagner's picture

Hi,

I have joined! I'm in!

I can definately put my hand up for flag care, creation and maintenance. I would like to create large fabric patchworks as well this year to hang like sails, feeling excited so if anyone has colorful, wacky, groovy, vibrant fabric to donate lets get it started sooner than later.

I am feeling connected to the community cafe area and while I would like to talk to Dion that is where my heart is.

Will chat with Dion in the near future and be in touch.

xx

Mary Bell
Mary Bell's picture

I love the kids zone and family zone where it has been the last few years, no road or water front in the way and beautiful camping around the back. Also I dont think that the space at this wee festy is big enough for criket etc as camping needs that space, however if we could use the paddock..........

Mary Bell
Mary Bell's picture

Love the island girl going tribal  :)

Mary Bell
Mary Bell's picture

Nice one flag care lady :)   the patchworks sound awesome! I really missed your community cafe energy last year and I am glad you have found it again!!! Look forward to another magic little festival with all you lovelies

dwagner
dwagner's picture

I just wrote heaps and lost it so..this will be short and sweet :)

Have spoken with dion and we are happy to look after community cafe/volunteer artist feeds.

Kidzone by the river makes me a bit nervous as the water is quite full on pushing in. I reckon peeps running kids activities have it easier if water side activity is not involved. Leave that to the parents. Paddock space kidzone could be sweet....heaps could happen with the trees and structures, open space and sunshine.

Stage placement was fantastic at winter solstice. if community stage shifted would it still be possible for community cafe to be along side it? always good being close to the entertainment if running a cafe. :)

xx

Brendan
Brendan's picture

Nice one you guys. Let's take the tribal zone and the kitchen space as two clear examples. Assuming you guys are committed to these spaces, now is the time to list your requirements. How many woofers needed each? What infrastructure required? How many $$$ needs to be allocated to your zone? Barring some major erosion (yep, separate thread Guppy), the tribal zone's position is set and that space can be fully visualised and planned. Forgive me if I come across like I'm taking control. I'm not. I just dig the discussion.

The kitchen space, as Debs pointed out, works best when it's close to the community stage. Last year, I found that when I was in the main zone, I was 'in' the main zone and when I was in the community zone, I was 'in' the community zone, but if I was standing around the fire, in the neutral space between the two, I was in some god-awful mix-up of overflow from each space. A 'confusion zone' around the fire like. Not good.

I've just had a thought on how to remedy this without putting the kids (and parents) out too much. What if the kidszone and community space/kitchen swapped spots. I can fully see a kidszone in last year's community space. Say it doubles as a hang out and from sunset, is closed to kids??? Then it becomes part of the nightvibe as you travel from the main zone, thru the kids, the glowzone, market, kitchen and onto the community space. Family camping can stay where it is and will have a community soundtrack to boot.

By the way, I'm keen on the kidszone again but if there is an abundance of offers in the area, I'm keen to help out with the community space. If anything I can see there being a lack of community involvement in the main zone and I might yet invest my energy there.

By the way, there's a graphic attached to the first post of last year's layout. I can't get it to appear ala Craig's seedball pic so for now, if you need a visual aid, you'll have to double-click folks.

Mary Bell
Mary Bell's picture

I just wanted to ask why we couldnt keep the community cafe/ community stage where they were last year. I love the area and flow between them both, also good layout for kids if they get up in the night looking for parents. Wondering what the motivation was for change? With Debs bak on board the community space will regain the vibe that it was a little flat in last year. The only thing I could see needing some thought was making sure that sounds coming out of the zones werent competing with each other and that the commmunity zone had a harmonious beat through the night for the families  rather than some band type music which is hard to sleep through in family camping. I am up for change but in this case I am wondering why we are looking to shift what worked so well at the last festival?   HOwever I will note that as the community stage shifted slightly to allow for the sound desk at back, this did cause a lack of flow from space to space.... It was cut short by a few metres which made the overflow space a little conjested and less of a natural flow. 

Mary Bell
Mary Bell's picture

I just wanted to ask why we couldnt keep the community cafe/ community stage where they were last year. I love the area and flow between them both, also good layout for kids if they get up in the night looking for parents. Wondering what the motivation was for change? With Debs bak on board the community space will regain the vibe that it was a little flat in last year. The only thing I could see needing some thought was making sure that sounds coming out of the zones werent competing with each other and that the commmunity zone had a harmonious beat through the night for the families  rather than some band type music which is hard to sleep through in family camping. I am up for change but in this case I am wondering why we are looking to shift what worked so well at the last festival?   HOwever I will note that as the community stage shifted slightly to allow for the sound desk at back, this did cause a lack of flow from space to space.... It was cut short by a few metres which made the overflow space a little conjested and less of a natural flow. 

desmo
desmo's picture

Count me in for whatever needs doing to make it happen & keep it running smooth .

Brendan
Brendan's picture

What's all this 'past tense' talk. Nothing has moved anywhere.

The crux of why I'm suggesting why we 'could' move the community zone is based on the congested space between the two zones. The flow of sounds competing in the middle. Frankly I feel like it didn't work last year. The spaces themselves were fine and isolated, sound-wise, from each other, but the hangout around the fire, between the two zones was a mess of congested sound. Ya catchin my drift here Mary?

dguppy
dguppy's picture

Had a wander around the site today to visualise the moving around of ideas and concepts.

Considered these points.

Kidzone and family camping go hand in hand

To satisfy the family safe huddle it seems that we should keep these on the northern side of the road.

Market space and cafe go hand in hand

If things were to move around then swapping the kidzone with the community stage is just about works keeping the above in mind and makes a good gap between doof stage and community stage.  Also, as Brendan proposed the daytime kidzone could morph into a night time kid at heart zone maximising the effort going into that zone however,

The camping around the newly proposed kidzone is not as ideal as it currently is with regard to good balance of trees and tent/van sites.

The fact the kidzone winds down at night and the surrounding camping becomes relatively quiet considering how close it is to all the action is a winner for the families.

Also these questions came to mind ( note: the term doof or doof doof is an endearing reference to the sound of bass heavy tunes that from any distance within 17miles, sound like Doof Doof, as opposed to a reference of indifference from someone who claims "it's just not music!")

Can the doof stage move farther away?

What are the advantages of having two stages? the freedom to turn it up LOUD on a stage that can go through the night.........

If we were to combine and put effort into one stage, effectively removing the 3am 10000 decibal, heart palpatating bass factor, would that put some people off?

Would that though open it up to attracting more people who come for a unique festival that is geared towards working one stage to great effect that pleases most of the people most of the time.

We would maybe lose a section of  people who want to rave all night long and its pretty cool to have the whole spectrum of festy followers.

Would Bernie still come if there was no 3am ripsnortingly loud chest heaving drum and bass?

Ultimately we seem to be looking to achieve the huddle of community stage, market/cafe, fire/ambient set up that is no way affected by doof doof. And if we are going to keep the doof doof (and the greatness of Bernie whoop whooping and getting down...) then we could

- have a dedicated mainstage like we have done and keep the current set up

- do some switcheroony which may work really well but is in danger of not achieving as ideal of  family/camping/kidzone goodness which is well known at the Oparara

-have some dedicated doof time on the community stage possibly upsetting those camping around.

-move the doof stage possibily isolating even further and maybe making it feel like a disconnected area there only to entertain a certain portion of the people. Bearing in mind that possibly that portion are to busy bouncing and boogying to notice.

:)

Gary B Smith
Gary B Smith's picture

Hi all,
It seems that the main reason for proposing the community stage to move is an attempt to alleviate sound overlap (especially around the fire in the market space)... unfortunately the short distance being proposed will not be enough - bass loves to travel and this year we had a very small system in the electronic zone...
The community stage, market, kidzone and family camping arrangement has evolved over the last three years and right from the start has worked really well. In fact it is the one part of the festival I am really proud of as it has evolved solely and directly as a consequence of our communities creativity and spirit... bottomline it works!

What doesn't work is the electronic zone... it is still a hang over from the KMF days and my suggestion is that we as a community own it, totally redesign it and put it somewhere inspiring... then find a way of connecting it to the rest of the festival. Personally, I really like the idea of putting it in the newly built up area of the beach... imagine a large shade structure in a funky sacred geometry design with a slightly built up stage with sound system and some funky themed decor... carpet in front of the system and a brassier out towards the estuary itself... we could utilise some of Debs large funky flags out where the tide comes in with some kind of up lighting on them (creating a choice reflection) and other installations yet to be conceived... basically something that is unique to Karamea - a rave on the beach :)

The space where the main zone has been could be utilised for workshops and games for the young and young at heart? Circus skills maybe? Could put in a wee sound system if needed for performances?

I really liked where the stage was for Solstice... perhaps it is just nice to utilise the reserve differently for the two events?

My two cents worth...

Cheers

Gary

SS Ferneliza
SS Ferneliza's picture

I like where this is going!  Definitely think electronic zone could do with the love pumped back into it, Love the beach direction, should it glow at night??

Brendan
Brendan's picture

Now thinks are starting to rock! For sure, the electronic zone has been left out in the cold for too long. I've seen it change from the only zone, to the other zone, from the main zone (geo-desic dome with all the trimmings) to an installation or concept zone with a dj booth. Poor old electronic zone. What are we going to do with you?

As many of you will acknowledge, the community stage has developed hand-in-hand with Local Band Jamming. For me, this is the fulfillment of forming a band. First you practice, then you build a zone, then you play. Winter Solstice was the epitomy of that vision for me.

I invested in that space because I wanted to use it. I wanted to own it when playing and then I wanted to share it.

So, where are all the DJ's ????? Where are the ones who own the electronic zone? And I don't mean the national DJ's who will come and play, but the local DJ's who are representing us, with their music and the space they want to create?

I'm happy to bring my energy into the electronic zone but it needs to be driven by the users.

DJ's of Karamea, stand up and represent us.

Brendan
Brendan's picture

And it should fully glow at night.

Mary Bell
Mary Bell's picture

To be sure. Glowing at night is a requirment

SS Ferneliza
SS Ferneliza's picture

Yeah I love and have loved the glow zone "cave" but it is pretty similar each year, is it ready to creep out of the cave?  and to me electronic music and glowing stuff kinda go hand in hand?  Would like to hear what Ra and Alana and Kathy ie the "Glow Girls" think?

Maybe there could be another type of art exhibition lit up in the cave??  Dunno .  

Duck!! There are ideas being chucked around all over the show! 

Raramai
Raramai's picture

From an electronic dj point of view I welcome the idea of moving the zone, though I don't have definite ideas of where yet. My main thought about this zone position would be that I think water divining could be used to select a good spot as electronics are greatly affected by what goes on under ground. Having observed a lot of outdoor gigs I am convinced that some positions are better than others, so my suggestion is work with nature. I am sure Craig won't mind helping with divining.

And yes I would like to be involved in the Glo-zone again and keen to hear any suggestions on how to make it different this year - perhaps a theme?

I am also keen to look at vj-ing and building screens to project vj-ing on to in the electronic zone. I only know some basics of vj-ing so if anyone is interested in this I'd be keen to explore ideas.

Also how can we get more people using this forum? I still feel there is only a fraction of us on here.

Good discussions and ideas though! :)

Craig Stenhouse
Craig Stenhouse's picture

Happy as to bring the dowsing rods down and check the site if you wish...Could be the start of a new career for me...I can see it now...private jet...doing the dowsing/divining for all the big name acts...trashing hotel rooms...velvet pants, coke & chicks...

desmo
desmo's picture

Not sure of the velvet pants bit but the rest sounds like fun .

SS Ferneliza
SS Ferneliza's picture

I have always been quite interested in the VJ thing, I'd be well keen to learn this new skill, I also have a strange interest in Velvet pants, go figure?!?

Mary Bell
Mary Bell's picture

the velvet pants sound awesome to me..... a festival theme perhaps........   or glowing velvet pants..... now thats next level as Bernie would say

Mary Bell
Mary Bell's picture

the velvet pants sound awesome to me..... a festival theme perhaps........   or glowing velvet pants..... now thats next level as Bernie would say

Craig Stenhouse
Craig Stenhouse's picture

Can't seem to post a link here....so go to youtube...search Propellerheads - Velvet Pants...

shona
shona's picture

Finally coming on board with my 2 cents (maybe that should be pennies) from up over land. I am keen to help out in the community cafe more next year if that suits others who are interested in the same - Tim was also keen when we chatted before I left. Dion seemed to be the only one in this area and in order for KSM crew to make a few extra $$$ with their home baking. By serivng locals and other festival goers, I'd like to be part of making the community cafe be something more.

Observations and reflections on resonance 2015 - the community stage needs more space / a higher stage as it overflowed its boundaries last year and the electronic stage seemed less than optimally utilised - slight rearragement of the relative sizes of these spaces may be in order. Having spoken to Chris (who is not online - yet) regarding this matter, he has ideas about changing the community stage by raising the stage, using the KSM cinema screen behind to project images onto with a new roof slanting from the top of the screen downwards, encompassing a larger area.

On another note, one point that I mentioned to Gary at the meeting at my house post festy, was the blatant carrying of cans and bottles by many despite the no alcohol policy. I don;t know how ithers feel, but there were issues with punters including locals waving around cans. Policing this one is a tough issue, but i want to put it out there and see what others think.

I may have jumped into other areas of discussion despite the subject heading - apologies.

Cheers and thanks for the winter solstice pix mary. Enjoying the 25 degree heat over here as teaching beckons.

shona
shona's picture

Finally coming on board with my 2 cents (maybe that should be pennies) from up over land. I am keen to help out in the community cafe more next year if that suits others who are interested in the same - Tim was also keen when we chatted before I left. Dion seemed to be the only one in this area and in order for KSM crew to make a few extra $$$ with their home baking, I'd be keen to make and sell stuff. By serivng locals and other festival goers, I'd like to be part of making the community cafe be something more.

Observations and reflections on resonance 2015 - the community stage needs more space / a higher stage as it overflowed its boundaries last year and the electronic stage seemed less than optimally utilised - slight rearragement of the relative sizes of these spaces may be in order. Having spoken to Chris (who is not online - yet) regarding this matter, he has ideas about changing the community stage by raising the stage, using the KSM cinema screen behind to project images onto with a new roof slanting from the top of the screen downwards, encompassing a larger area.

On another note, one point that I mentioned to Gary at the meeting at my house post festy, was the blatant carrying of cans and bottles by many despite the no alcohol policy. I don't know how others feel, but there were issues with punters including locals waving around cans. Policing this one is a tough issue, but I want to put it out there and see what others think.

I may have jumped into other areas of discussion despite the subject heading - apologies.

Cheers and thanks for the winter solstice pix Mary. Enjoying the 25 degree heat over here as teaching beckons.

Apologies for the doubling/trebling up of documents

Liz K
Liz K's picture

Hey Karamea Whanau.... loving this discussion and all the love that is already going in to next years Resonance :) I know I'm all the way over the hills, but still feel like part of this community somehow.  

I like the idea of having the electronic sounds waving over the beach - from memory there's a flatish grassy area which makes a natural stage overlooking the beachy bit of the estuary.  This would mean noisier camping for most participants, but with the size of the site there's always going to be a bit of noise somewhere.

The cafe could still be close to the Community Stage, but if the Electronic stage moved along a little bit we could extend a hang out/food/buskers/circus zone into tht space - maybe with foody/coffee things on one side and other markety craft stalls etc where they always were?  This might also be a more suitable space for workshops needing a bit more room as some were so well attended last year they were spilling over the road :D  How cool would it be to need a couple of workshop spaces because we had so many things to offer?

...And Karamea has a cinema screen! awesome - how can we get that into the community stage!?

I'd like to put my hand up for decor bits and bobs, and the people care side of the WWOOFers / Volunteers as I noticed this year there could have been more communication in terms of what needs doing, by when and what is expected of volunteers - we cruised for a few days then had the usual cram it all in day ... although, isn't that how all festvals work! 

I'm planning on heading up and having my hands on deck from 1st Feb all things going well. Hoping to bring a motherload of bunting and working on ideas for other big sacred geometry something...

Peace out xx

Liz K
Liz K's picture

Hey Karamea Whanau.... loving this discussion and all the love that is already going in to next years Resonance :) I know I'm all the way over the hills, but still feel like part of this community somehow.  

I like the idea of having the electronic sounds waving over the beach - from memory there's a flatish grassy area which makes a natural stage overlooking the beachy bit of the estuary.  This would mean noisier camping for most participants, but with the size of the site there's always going to be a bit of noise somewhere.

The cafe could still be close to the Community Stage, but if the Electronic stage moved along a little bit we could extend a hang out/food/buskers/circus zone into tht space - maybe with foody/coffee things on one side and other markety craft stalls etc where they always were?  This might also be a more suitable space for workshops needing a bit more room as some were so well attended last year they were spilling over the road :D  How cool would it be to need a couple of workshop spaces because we had so many things to offer?

...And Karamea has a cinema screen! awesome - how can we get that into the community stage!?

I'd like to put my hand up for decor bits and bobs, and the people care side of the WWOOFers / Volunteers as I noticed this year there could have been more communication in terms of what needs doing, by when and what is expected of volunteers - we cruised for a few days then had the usual cram it all in day ... although, isn't that how all festvals work! 

I'm planning on heading up and having my hands on deck from 1st Feb all things going well. Hoping to bring a motherload of bunting and working on ideas for other big sacred geometry something...

Peace out xx

Rhyso
Rhyso's picture

I would like to just chime in and give a virtual pat on the back to everyone involved in this.

Being a future local, having just got property in town and seeing this much thought and effort going into community projects like this, really makes me even more pleased with our decision to move there.

This event sounds terrific and when we are finally there to live... I will have plenty of time and will most definatey volunteer time and resources to an event such as this or similar. We also both have skills that will add to local markets etc as well.

Looking forward to visiting next month for a couple of weeks to start our project, check more of the place out including this site and meet more people knowing we will be living there, in cotrast with last year when we were inquiring.

keep up the good work everybody.

Cheers,

Rhys

dwagner
dwagner's picture

Hi Rhys,

Great to hear of your support and excitment at being apart of this beautiful and eclectic (spelling???) group of people. Look forward to meeting you's on one of your visits. Winter can be a bit quiet but......lift a few rocks you never know what you will find.

All the best :)

Deborah 

Rhyso
Rhyso's picture

Cheers,

My two weeks there are going to be very busy... 

I like quiet... quite the contrast to my current home which is too noisy.

Brendan
Brendan's picture

This particular thread had done it's dash and it must be time for a summary.

• Island Girl is going tribal
  • Guppy and Brendan are going kidzone
  • Debs is going wacky groovy flag style while helping out in the Cafe.
  • Dion is 'looking after' Cafe & volunteer/artist food.
  • Desmo is in whatever happens.
  • Gary's calling for a beach rave
  • Raramai is keen on the glo-zone
  • Shona (and Tim) are keen to help out in the Cafe
  • Liz is up for decor and organizing the volunteers
  • Craig wants velvet pants.
  • Rhyso is stoked.

All the zones work where they are except the Electronic Zone.
The Electronic Zone is being mooted for the beach and will glow, be projected on and will either float or defy the tides through innovative yet funky engineering.
Craig will pull the rods out and map the energy current.

Lot's of people are into velvet pants.

Alcohol on site during Festy is an issue?

Going back to the original post the following areas haven't been touched on: marketing/advertising, artist liaison, council/doc/educational trust liaison, ground crew, security, stage management, sound, lighting, utilities (water, power, toilets), workshops, markets.

I am keen on Marketing next year's event and want to start now. I'll take this opportunity to put a call out for pics but I will create a new forum to that end. The forum itself will market the event (as this one has).

Apologies if I missed/misrepresented anyone in the summary. If there are any outstanding issues, create a forum.

Mary Bell
Mary Bell's picture

Nice to see Brendan has some energy for Resonance and is trying to round up a crew. Nice there is velvet pants and so many people are crew.  Storm trooper suits are a requirement for alcohol searches, we would need to book early. And Hey out of respect to Gary who has led the way so far, has anyone contacted him, I am sure he has a few thoughts on this project he has passionatley given to so much. Be there with Bells on   Mary Bell

Login or register to post comments

Please Note:   The content, views and opinions on these forums are the sole responsibility of its authors. The content has not necessarily been reviewed by the sponsors or administrators of this website. Submit feedback about this content.

X
You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
The password field is case sensitive.