Karameans Advocating Kahurangi Action (KAKA)
KAKA was formed in January 2008.
It's initial task was to fight the July 2008 aerial 1080 drop on some 50,000ha of Kahurangi National Park and surrounding farmlands.
In conjunction with like-minded groups and individuals across the West Coast (and New Zealand):
- Disseminate valid reliable information on 1080 related issues.
- Foster linkages and information sharing between anti-1080 groups.
- Ensure that those responsible for pest-control activities are fully accountable.
- Implement a politically-based regional strategy to force an effective ban, no later than 2011, on 1080 air drops across the West Coast.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of effective alternative methods for pest and Bovine Tuberculosis control.
- Ensure that the level of funding currently used by Councils, the AHB and DOC and others on pest control programs across the Coast continues to be available for implementing alternative (non-1080) pest control methods.
- Ensure that any alternative programs maximise the employment of local residents in small communities.
- Make a positive contribution towards a possible future national ban on 1080.